Two of my favorite things come out in the heat of the summer: corn and peaches. So the obvious thing to me is to put them together, add some citrus, heat and herby goodness and create a spectacular summer salad that can be made in 5 minutes. We served this up to our Freshocracy customers and also just shared a few bites at our Freshocracy Greenmarket cooking demo…to rave reviews. So for those of you who would like to try this simple sweet and savory salad at home, here’s to sharing…
Lime-Kissed Peach and Corn Summer Salad
Recipe modified from Jessica Albertson
4 ears of corn, shucked
1/2-1 serrano pepper
1/2 red onion, diced finely
0.5 oz cilantro or mint, chopped
1 lime, zested and juiced
Salt and pepper to taste
- Shuck the corn and use a large sharp knife to cut off the root part of the cob that is sticking out, creating a flat end. Tip: Using a baking sheet with edges, hold the corn standing up on its flat end in the middle of the sheet and carefully run your knife down the sides to cut off the kernels. Cutting directly on the baking sheet with edges will catch the kernels as they fall off. Add the corn to a medium sized bowl.
- Wash and dice the peach into pieces approximately the size of the corn or a little larger.
- Depending on your tolerance for spice, dice 1/2 to all of the serrano and add to the mixture. Note: Be careful not to touch your eyes after handling a hot pepper!
- Finely dice red onion and add to the bowl.
- Wash and chop cilantro or mint and add to the bowl.
- Zest and juice lime into the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix gently.
- Serve as a side salad with fish, chicken or beef or just as a salsa!